Monday, February 25, 2008

Santiago with a Santiaguino!

So I finally made it to Santiago. I am going to be honest, I really wasn't all that excited until the very last minute because so many people in Rancagua hate the city and all I knew is that it was over crowded and full of smog. What they didn't tell me is that it is absolutely BREATHTAKING! But let me not get ahead of myself...

The guy who was taking me around is named Ignacio or Nacho. I met him at San Alfonso and he is one guy even my Papà absolutely adores! yay! He invited me, but never called. Being a Chilean girl or attempting, I was forbidden to call him. Real gentlemen call. So he called my mama and didn't even ask for me. Apparently this is also very Chilean. Scumbags call you, and real guys talk to your parents? either way it made me feel special. He made my mama walk outside and confessed he had lost my number and asked for it again. Later after plans had been made to meet at the bus station, he called me to see if there was anything special i Wanted to do. :) I said Santa Lucia... so we said good night and I went back inside. If you don't know me well I always feel the need to walk around outside when talking on my phone.

Anyway, right after that my cousin got violently ill... she just started throwing up and other fun stuff... so we had to take her to the hospital. Its very latino that the whole family goes with the person to the hospital. So it was me, my mama, my aunt, and 2 cousins! WOW! We stroll up to the ER and she has to get an IV because she's dehydrated, but its just a virus. That is now in my house so I am crossing my fingers I don't get sick. The hospital is about 30 min by car, so Im pretty sure if there was ever a real emergency well we would just die! So we finally got home around 1:30 and I still had to iron my shirt and then everyone had to drink tea because that's how we roll here. So finally around 3am I got to bed. Then had to get up at 8:30!

Suprisingly, I was so excited I really didn't mind the lack of sleep. I got on the bus and read all the way there. My friend called me at about 11 to see if I was there and he's like look out the window... im like maybe I am in the city. I was definitely expecting something much more. I mean when you get into Chicago its most obviously a city. They retain the traditional latino architecture with colorful stucco and its cute. This kid took me everywhere. We went to the predisdent's office. She doesn't get to live there... she stays in her apartment from before. I also learned that the best doctors make more than the president. Hmmm... interesting. Then we went to see the house of Pablo Neruda. It was so beautiful. I am a huge fan, so it was cool to be there and be like oh my gosh he was in this house. He has this collection of colored glass as well and it was soo beautiful. Unfortunately, you can't take pictures in the house, but i bought some postcards afterwards. From there we went to this ski lift thing and saw the whole city from up above. The day was absoutely perfect... I am totally in love with Santiago and I would be content living here as well!!! I guess we'll seee.... hahha

No comments: