Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Instituto O'higgins

Hola todos!

So today started a new año escolar school year. Monday was the opening ceremonies. It was really cool. All the kids lined up by cursos grades, and they sang the national anthem, and then the school song. Though, the gringos have much more respect for our anthem. NOt everyone was quiet, no one places their hands on their heart, kids in the back where still wearing their hats. So weird! It was suprising becauses their is so much more love for their country than in the United States. Lots of other kids came back that have graduated as well. I hung out with Warrior and met his two little siblings, Gabriela y Manuel.

So for the rest of the week I have decided to go to school. I am in 3ºA Humanista. In Chile, the juniors have to decide basically what they will be doing with the rest of their lives. There are three sections: Biology, Mathmatics, and Humanitarians. My class has 8 hours a week of history, lots of Castellano Spanish class, and less Physics and Math. The others have more of those subjects. The teaceher I have for History is amazing! She is super sweet! We are unfortunately starting with ancient civilizations, so I am going to be learning about Mesopotamia again! I also have Philosophy with a crazy awesome guy! Plus, in math we learned factoring and that is actaully something I can do. In English, I am the dictionary. He makes the kids ask me how to say stuff he's written on the board. Today our homework assignment was to learn the "our father". I love going to a Catholic school and starting everyday out with the gospel and a prayer. Its a good way to start building community because you say different prayer requests.

Well that's about all I wanted to say. My friends all started leaving for the university this week, so there has already been a couple tearful goodbyes. Its hard to believe that my wonderful trip is finally coming to an end. Bittersweet as always.

1 comment:

Jen said...

glad to know you are learning stuff. i was afraid your brain would turn to mush with so much time away from learning. mom